Monday, January 18, 2010

Ay Muchacha, Ay Muchacho







Today was very exciting for me. We went to the Missionaries of Charity here in Venezueala. It is a religious order that was established in 1950 by Mother Teresa in Calcutta. I admire that woman sooo much, so to be able to meet the women who have the same desires to follow Christ the way she did is very exciting. The place is occupied by six men who are dying of aids and then eight other men who are either disabled or ill. The group's main job was painting. There were 14 of us and limited supplies. I really wanted to interact with either the men or work along with the Sisters. So, I mosied on up and talked with one of them and they gave me the job of sweeping and mopping. Let me tell you, these women keep the place very clean! I looked inside of the men's room and they were very well organized and very clean. As I was mopping one of the men there came up to me and tried talking, well that one sorta failed. But then he came back with two chocolate treats to give me (Beth and I just finished one of them :)) I felt bad taking them from him, but I know that it would have been rude not to. We ended up bonding later. He was a fun guy. Then it was time for lunch. I was able to put some of my nursing assistant skills in handy ;) haha I fed one of the men there who was unable to feed himself. He talked way more then he wanted to eat. Didn't understand him, and then one of the Sisters told me that he always does that. After that Beth and I joined eachother to go and hang out with some of the other men in the outdoor sitting area. Underneath a mango tree :) One of the men in particular kept saying ay muchacha (girl) so I would say back ay muchacho(guy). And we pretty much did that for 2 hrs haha jk but we had fun with him. In the mean time there were turtles walking around 2 lil ones and a big one. Beth and I and the men had fun with them. Then one of the guys working there brought over a parrot and placed in on Beth. It was then my turn. That was pretty cool. Mangos would be falling from the tree, which was a bit scary at times. I think I ate one of the best mangos of my life today. Soooo good! It was so fun hanging out with the men. The Sisters work so hard to take care of these sick men. It is so humbling to see. The place was so peaceful and filled with lots of love. Since our group was big we had to split up in order to get back. We were lucky and were able to ride in the Missionaries of Charity van. I felt pretty important haha No but I believe we are going back tomorrow which should be sweet. Oh and yesterday at the futbol game our group's picture was unknowingly taken. Turns out were all in the Venezuelan paper today. Oh yea! I hope to get a copy :) Well Molly here ya go SHOUT OUT numero dos :)

3 comments:

  1. thanks :) :) i feel so HONERD to have my name in your blog :-P
    sounds like you sure had a greatt day!!! that turtle looks HUGE! what did you name it??

    i love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Emily, what an amazing experience!!! I can't wait to hear more about this place!! And I think you forgot to put sunblock on your nose :) I am jealous though, wish I had a sun kissed face, MN pale here!!! Love and blessings, Aunty M

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be keeping busy because I keep looking for another update and your smiling face with a large turtle keeps popping up!! :)

    ReplyDelete