Monday, January 25, 2010

Chao Venezuela :(







This morning I went to the clinic in San Felix to follow around Dr. Luz. Beth went with Jack to go visit one of our friends at her school. I wanted to go with them sooo bad, but I knew I would have regretted not experiencing the medical aspect in Venezuela. Dr. Luz was very busy so one of the nurses there gave me a tour of the place. Even though I told her unpoco espanol she had no choice but to explain everything in spanish to me. I just nodded my head and went along with her. I got to sit in on one of the nursing classes. They were studying farmalogica. I understood some of the notes even in espanol. Such as the process of a drug...absorption, distribution, metabolism, excretion. haha Then I was lead to a room of one of the supervisors there. We sat in the little room together. I was probably in there for over an hour and a half. She did not speak english. We semi communicated. I had to whip out my notebook so we could write our words out to try and understand. One girl came in with her baby to be immunized. The girl looked about 16 or 17, which is not uncommon around here. I did get asked today if I had any babies or a husband. Nope. Another girl came into get some blood drawn. Other than that there was not much going on in the room I was in. I then went back to Dr. Luz's office area to wait for her. In the mean time the secretary and two other woman invited me to sit with them for lunch. They were so kind to make me a plate made up of things from their lunches. The combination was excellent! It was very good. We could not speak much to each other, it still ended up being a good time. When Dr. Luz came back she spoke english, so she could translate. She told me that she was supervisor of 65 different clinics! She is a very very busy woman. She also said that a doctor like herself only makes $300 a month! That was an instant jaw dr0pper. I couldn't believe it. I admire her for her desire to do what she does. When I got back Beth and I were able to share about our day. It sounds like Beth and Jack were looked upon as celebrities at the school they went to. I guess they had Jack singing Love Story by Taylor Swift. I am so bummed I missed out on a Taylor Swift jam :( haha Oh and I also had a Venezuelan perro caliente (hot dog) tonight. There is a vendor right across the street from us. Beth has gotten one before and tonight I had just realized that I had not. I couldn't have left with out getting one, as I had heard they were the best. They really were amazing! I don't even like hot dogs all that much, but I'll make an exception for these. Well, now I sit in bed on my last night here in San Felix,Venezuela. Wow has the time gone by fast! I am soooo excited to go home, but I am also sad to leave this place. I have definitely opened a spot in my heart for this country and for the people here. Our flight leaves to Caracus around 3 tomorrow and then we will be staying overnight there and leaving for the U.S. the next day. I am excited to spend a little time in Caracus. I am forever grateful for this experience, and will always keep the Venezuelan's in my prayers. Chao Venezuela...please don't forget about me.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Bonita Nina~Your entries alway make me cry, but this last one really brought on the tears. I am so proud of you, as you will carry this experience in your heart forever.
    Can't wait to heard your stories in person~
    Mi gusto Emily~Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily-I had no idea you were doing this! i found you on megan & chantel's blog. This is amazing! I hope you had a wonderful and blesed time!

    ReplyDelete