Friday, January 22, 2010

No Suerte!







Sorry it has been a while since I have updated on here and I wish I could say it was because of service, but these last two days we have been swimming, fishing, and shopping!!! First I'll start off with our fishing experience two days ago. So, we get up at 5 am to go fishing. We get there and they can't start the motor! We are dead tired, but were very patient. I can now say that I have seen a Venezuelan sunrise which was BEAUTIFUL! I'll say that getting up early was worth it. Fishing was no go that day. Then we went to San Felix to go shopping at their market area in the afternoon. That was definitely the day we gringos stood out!! The market was really cool though. Things here are not cheap, and it's not like Mexico where you can bargain with them. That was a let down. Speaking of Mexico, we went through the meat market down here. I am thankful we went through that in Mazatlan, Mexico before or else I would have been grossed out. I started laughing when I remembered that Molly video taped us going through that and I think I was mad on the camera cus I was embarressed that she was doing that hahahha Anyways... then we went to Club Nautico. It is this country club type place with pools, sport courts and such. We were able to lounge around and just soak up the sun. It was very nice. The only bad thing was that most of us felt sick that night, including myself. We were thinking it could have been from the water from the pool. Not sure how but we all seemed to share the same symptoms. The next day we went fishing again! It was a success this time, and we did not have to get up early. Oh and might I add the boat working was a success, but catching fish well not so much (for any of us).... Kottke's I think you will be very proud of me though....I caught a rock! Here in Venezuela too. One of the Venezuelan's swam down to get it unhooked. I seriously think I am not meant to fish. One of the other guys caught a stick, so I was not the only one haha. Oh and they do not use poles down here. They only use the fishing line, it was very interesting as we were told we could be catching Paranas! Later that day we went to the Malls in Porta Ordazto shop. I think I heard someone say that the mall we went to was the biggest one in South America. It was pretty big. I definitely enjoyed our time spent there. Didn't buy anything though, as the prices are sooo expensive. I honestly don't know how these people afford clothing. Today the group from St. Thomas left for the Gran Sabana. It was an 8 hour bus ride down there. Beth and I contemplated many times whether we wanted to go or not. We decided not to. I know they will have a great time and I am excited to see pictures. We have a few things set up around here for us too. It will be nice to spend the last 4 days with the Venezuelan's around here too. I must admit besides all of my family and friends I miss so many things that I took for granted. Little things that shouldn't matter but I miss peanut butter so much (can't wait for your homemade stuff mom)!! I miss eating apples, barbeque sauce, runnning, normal showers, watching movies, driving etc. The list could go on and I feel bad, but I wanted to share the truth. I could live without all of that for the rest of my life as most people down here too, but I do miss it. I want to cherish EVERYTHING even more!!

4 comments:

  1. LOL!! You caught a stick & a rock now. I laughed out loud when I read that. I hope you are taking a lot of pictures down there. Enjoy your last few days down there! BTW...yesterday was Erin & Meghan's 5th b-day. Can you believe they are already 5? Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todd and Nichole! Oh my i can't believe the girls turned 5 yesterday!!!!! Happy Birthday to them!!!
    Emily- I think your not ment to fish! god's way of telling you if you keep catching rocks! LOL I can't wait till your home!!!! I miss you

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha I thought it was pretty funny too! I can't believe the girls are 5!! Tell them Happy Birthday from me :) Oh and yes I have been taking lots of pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola! Bonita Nina~ The sunrise looks beautiful.It looks like Beth was a good girl with her life jacket on. Sounds like I better go to Fleet Farm and get some peanuts to make your peanut butter. I suppose you want apples and peanut butter sandwiches for dinner on your birthday. Enjoy your last few days, and tell Fr Greg I said Thank-you for taking such good care of you :) Mi gusto Emily~Mama

    ReplyDelete